Sleeping at night is one of the most important aspects of your physical & mental health. A perfect night’s sleep maintains your health & mood for the rest of the day, makes you energetic & motivated for your work. Sleeping disturbance can be losing your energy to work well the next day. Shoulder and neck pain can easily disturb you from getting to sleep or staying asleep. It would be best if you looked for a solution to sleep well at night. There is good news; you can completely get rid of your shoulder pain by just replacing your pillow. A suitable pillow is one of the effective solutions for your shoulder pain.
Pillows for shoulder and neck pain can be incredibly useful & they will create such a difference to your sleep health by alleviating pressure on your shoulder. You will love the pillow if you have a hard time dealing with shoulder pain during the day. The benefits of using a pillow designed for shoulder pain are – to promotes spine alignment, to improve quality of sleep, to improve emotional & mental health, to limit insomnia & sleepless night, to save cost on masseuses.
What Is Shoulder Pain ?
Shoulder pain is any pain in or around your shoulder joint due to swelling, damage, or bone changes around the shoulder joint. It is the third leading musculoskeletal consultation in primary care after back & knee pain. You may feel pain when lifting your arm above the head or moving it forward or behind your neck. The common underlying causes are rotator cuff disorders, glenohumeral disorders, acromioclavicular joint pathology & referred neck pain.
How To Decide Which Pillow May Work Best
The right choice of pillow ultimately depends on your height, weight, personal preference & sleeping position. You can follow the below recommendation on choosing the right pillow that may work best for you.
- Back sleep position needs: If you are a back sleeper, you may benefit from a thinner pillow, which is not too firm or too high to provide support to the natural curvature of your neck & spine. It creates specific alleviation to reduce tension in the upper back & neck are to relax your shoulder muscles, ligaments & tendons. It does not elevate your head & neck too high.
- Stomach sleep position needs: If you are a stomach sleeper, you should need to use a thinnest, almost non-existent pillow. It may prevent extra pressure on your lower back.
- Side sleep position needs: if you are a side sleeper, you should use a firm, thick pillow that melds to the shape of your neck & keeps your head level with the shoulders. It also helps to remove pressure form your shoulders.
11 Best Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain Relief
At present, the modern market can offer many brands of pillow that are specifically designed to support your neck & shoulder in order to reduce pain & pressure from your shoulder. Many people think purchasing an orthopedic shoulder pillow is a simple & easy task. However, it is a much dreadful & tiring task than it seems. It can be quite challenging for you to find the best
pillow for your shoulder pain because you need to have a supportive & comfortable cushioning for your head ,neck & shoulder. So to help you buying the best pillow for your demands , you shall find you top picks form our review .
1. Mkicesky Memory Foam Cervical Pillow
If you struggle with sleep apnea, you will collect a pillow that helps keep your airways as clear as possible, in which case Mkicesky Memory Foam Cervical Pillow is a perfect choice. It’s unique shape & design ensure to premium comfort, relief of back & neck pain, reduction of shoulder stiffness, promotion of correct spine alignment & increase muscle relaxation.
At the center of the pillow, it has an innovative hollow that creates perfect space for resting a tired head, relieving pressure on the skull or ears. This ergonomic pillow is made with 100% premium quality, breathable, slow rebound contour memory foam, which softly fits the shoulders & keeps them from pushing against the pillow to maintain it in proper position throughout the night. It follows the unique & different height design that makes it perfect for all types of sleepers.
This low rebound memory foam pillow not only extraordinarily portable but also very portable, so you can easily fold it up & take it wherever you go. This therapeutic pillow is CertiPur – US certified. The pillowcase cover is breathable, soft, hypoallergenic, removable & washable that comes in gray, silver-gray or blue & white. This therapeutic pillow is available in four sizes – standard, queen, lady & kids. You can have peace of mind that the manufacturer offers you a 100-day money-back guarantee & 2 years warranty, so you know your money will not be wasted.
- Central hollow design.
- Arc shape.
- Dual height design.
- 100 day money back guarantee.
- Low rebound memory foam.
- Removable , hypoallergenic pillow cover.
- 4 sizes available
- You can’t be able to adjust the memory foam afterwards.
2. HOMCA Memory Foam Cervical Pillow
HOMCA Memory Foam Cervical Pillow is another top-rated pillow for your shoulder pain due to its ergonomic design. It has a unique feature of the curved design that gently stretches & relaxing your muscles during sleep.
This pillow is made with 100 % pure memory foam, which is super comfortable, soft & durable than other pillows, offers superior comfort & ensures you pain-free sleep through the night. It has an ergonomic hollow design that helps your breath smoothly & keeps the air passage open for relieving snoring. It has two different heights on both sides, which fits for all kinds & types of sleepers. The cover of this pillow from a perfect blend of hypoallergenic polyester & rayon, which can provide you a luxurious sleeping experience. The pillowcase is also easily removable & very easy to clean by machine. You can have peace of mind that the manufacturer offers you a short 180-day product warranty, so you know your money will not be wasted.
- Great quality.
- Breathable & comfortable.
- Reduce snoring.
- Best service.
- Slow rebound memory foam.
- Fits for all types sleepers.
- Slight off gassing when opening.
3. Honey Scrumptious Side Sleepers Pillow
Honey Scrumptious side sleepers Pillow is one of the best pillows for eliminating your shoulder pain. It has a unique feature an innovative shoulder cut out, which ensures that it aligns correctly with your body & takes the pressure off from the shoulder & neck. A great thing about this pillow is that it will help in improving your breathing at night & it also helpful for eliminating your snoring problem.
This luxurious pillow is 100 % handcrafted & made from durable, premium quality materials that are naturally sourced. So you don’t have to worry about chemical & toxin exposure while sleeping. Its foam component is a copper-infused foam that 100 % CertiPUR – US certified so that it will keep you cool all through the night. It also comes with a feature of a hidden small zipper that allows you to remove some of the stuffing to make sure your pillow has the perfect height according to your needs. The fiber the manufacturer use is stronger & thinner than silk & feels like the expansive down. It offers a distinctive & unique curve that will support your neck & shoulder. Its pillowcase is hypoallergenic, removable & machine washable. In terms of the warranty, the manufacturer offers a 60-day free return policy for its & also provides three years warranty for this product.
- Adjustable height.
- High quality & durable materials.
- CertiPUR – US foam.
- Supportive pillow.
- Breathable & soft cover.
- Some consumers had problems with stuffing.
4. Z Gel Memory Foam L Shaped Pillow
If you find that you suffer from severe shoulder pain from sleeping on your side, you may want to consider this Z Gel Memory Foam L shaped Pillow. It is a great pillow choice, especially if you are awake in the morning with shoulder pain.
This pillow is made with hypoallergenic, 100 % polyurethane softer memory gel foam that helps side sleepers in obtaining a restful night’s sleep. It is perfect for side sleepers & also can be used as a pregnancy pillow. This pillow features an ergonomic design L shaped body that provides perfect support for the head, neck & shoulder. Inside of this pillow consists of a unique gel DOUGH memory foam material which provides a cool night’s sleep. It conforms to your neck & shoulder to provide excellent joint cushioning. It is completed with a 100 % Tencel fiber removable cover to assist with moisture-wicking comfort & temperature regulation. In terms of the warranty, the manufacturer offers you 5 years warranty for this product.
- Ergonomic design.
- 100 % polyurethane foam.
- 5 years performance warranty.
- Cool, soft gel materials.
- Moisture wicking cover.
- Strong off gassing smell at first.
5. Coisum Back Sleeper Cervical Pillow
If you desire to sleep face – up at night & don’t tend to change position often, the Coisum Back Sleeper Cervical Pillow sleeping pillow might be the fantastic choice for you. It’s wired – looking shape is designed to support your head during side sleeping to provide enough space for your shoulder to fit just under the pillow comfortably.
This pillow is made from 60 density slow rebound, premium quality memory foam to ensure better spinal alignment & relieves pressure on the skull. It has a unique feature of an ergonomic inside hole & wedge extension to assist in keeping your airways open. It can be effective for reducing snoring, morning aches & other problems with poor sleep. The pillow features wings that are designed to adjust the sides of the head. Its protective inner cover is breathable, removable, soft polyester, hypoallergenic & free from harmful chemicals. In terms of the warranty , You can use this pillow 30-day return policy to get your money back.
- Smaller & ergonomic design.
- Center cavity & wedge extension.
- Breathable & removable cover.
- Rotate 180 degrees for different thickness.
- High density , slow rebound memory foam.
- Specific to back sleepers only.
6. Medcline Shoulder Relief Wedge & Body Pillow
Medcline shoulder Relief wedge & Body Pillow is another clinically proven precise choice for those suffering from chronic shoulder pain at night. It has an ergonomic feature of an advanced positioning technology that ensures relief from neck & shoulder pain.
The wedge shape of this pillow has proven to provides natural relief from heartburn, coughing, choking, nausea & regurgitation. The convenient arm pocket at the top of the Medcline shoulder Relief wedge is symmetrical to prevent pressure build-up on the shoulder & provide support during the night. It is engineered with four different types of medical-grade foam to offer you maximum support, comfort & product longevity. The flexible design of this pillow allows your elbow & forearm to rest comfortably in the mattress without putting any pressure on your shoulder. It is also constructed with a memory foam topper to provide you the extra comfort you need while sleeping. The USA made Medcline wedge pillow plus pillowcase are washable & removable. This pillow can also be helpful for pregnant women to sleep comfortably. You can have peace of mind that the manufacturer offers you a 100-night sleep trial & a year warranty, so you know your money will not be wasted.
- Very durable.
- Medical grade foam.
- FSA & HSA approved.
- A patented design pocket.
- Unique side sleeping technology.
- High quality materials.
- Very expansive pillow.
7. Coisum Cervical Pillow Contour Pillow
If your shoulder pain is originating for the head & neck area then Coisum Cervical Pillow Contour Pillow might be the ideal choice for you. It’s a high-quality memory foam pillow that have an ergonomic slope which will keep your head & neck in the right position.
The contour design provides arm indentions that offer an ergo friendly place to place your arms inside & back sleeping position. It’s an orthopedic pillow constructed with high quality, 60 density, slow rebound memory foam that has medium firmness, which is ideal for supporting your shoulder. The memory foam is CertiPUR – US certified & hypoallergenic, which means there are no toxic chemicals. A remarkable feature of this pillow is a temperature sensing feature; they will keep you cool throughout the night. This fascinating pillow is specially designed for side & back sleepers. Its pillow cover is made of skin-friendly hypoallergenic polyester fiber to circulate airflow to keep the pillow cool as you sleep. Its pillowcase is also can be removed & washed easily on the machine. In terms of the warranty, the manufacturer offers you a five years warranty for this product.
- High quality rebound memory foam.
- Skin friendly pillow case.
- Free returns.
- Perfect for back & side sleepers.
- Breathable cover.
- Helps align spine.
- Does not support stomach sleepers.
8. KLOUDES Adjustable Pillow
KLOUDES Adjustable Pillow is a precise choice for you if you are searching for the best pillow for your shoulder pain. It is an inexpensive way to get a pillow you can select for your preference. An excellent feature of this pillow is its foam is CertiPUR – US certified to be safe & not to contain any harmful substance.
This pillow is adjustable for all types of sleepers from back to side sleepers. This adjustable pillow is made with organic cotton blend, highest quality materials which help in reducing neck & shoulder pain you get during sleep & you can wake up pain-free. This hypoallergenic pillow cover comes in a zipped which is easily removable & can be washable by machine. In terms of the warranty, the manufacturer offers you a 100-night money-back guarantee & 5 years warranty, so you confirm your money will not be wasted.
- Traditional rectangular shape.
- Organic cotton blend.
- Ultra soft to touch.
- CertiPUR – US certified.
- Machine washable cover.
- Pressure free sleep in any position.
- Might be a little expansive .
9. LUMIA Wellness Chiropractic Wedge Pillow
LUMIA Wellness Chiropractic Wedge Pillow is a trusted brand pillow in the market that incredibly fits most adults; why you spend a lot of money on multiple Chiropractic sessions when you can quickly get the same result at home with this chiropractic pillow.
It is constructed from solid pieces of sense memory foam, which is highly durable & yet lightweight to provide excellent support & pain relief for back sleepers. It comes with an efficient chiropractic design with an inclined wedge shape that delivers maximum coziness. There is a breathable foam that helps in breathing & also helps to reduce migraine & headache. This pillow has non-toxic & hypoallergenic foam materials, which is safe for use. This pillow is safe, comfortable & convenient to use. The pillow cover is high quality, soft, 100% felt texture, which can be easily removed & can be washed by the machine when need be.
- Wedge foam design.
- Fits most adult.
- Soft & 100 % felt cover.
- Breathable foam.
- Chiropractic standard design.
- Non toxic & hypoallergenic foam.
- Stiffness after long time user.
10. ROYAL Therapy Queen Memory Foam Pillow
ROYAL Therapy Queen Memory Foam Pillow is an excellent choice for you if you have suffered severe shoulder pain & stiffness. It allows your muscles to relax correctly, offering natural spine support to your body, adjusting to your unique shape, promoting deep, restful sleep.
The pillow has a therapeutic contour with a fully adjustable design that shapes your head & neck to promote optimal alignment of the cervical spine. It is constructed using a technology called heat dissipation that eliminates thermal build up during sleep. This memory foam is adjustable so that you can easily remove or reintegrate its middle foam layers to fit your support needs. The materials of this pillow are premium quality memory foam, CertiPUR -US certified & 100 % non-toxic. This bamboo pillow allows for equal pressure on all areas of your head, neck & shoulder. This luxurious pillow is best for all types of sleepers. This inserted bamboo blend cover is hypoallergenic & resistant to dust mites, which is also removable & washable. In terms of the warranty, the manufacturer is currently offering you a one year warranty for this product.
- Heat dissipation technology.
- Adjustable pillow.
- Longer life span.
- CertiPUR- US certified.
- 100 % non toxic.
- Some consumers reported that this pillow start to go flat after long time use.
11. CUSHY Form Bed Wedge Pillow
CUSHY Form Bed Wedge Pillow is the final choice in selecting the best pillows for your shoulder pain, which will dramatically improve your chances of avoiding orthopedic health issues.
This bed wedge pillow has a unique feature a layer of high-density memory foam that cradles your neck & shoulder to provide superior comfort & fit your body’s shape as best as possible. This ergonomically shaped cushy form wedge is firm & doesn’t collapse under your weight. This chiropractic design pillow slightly elevates the head & neck on a supported slant during sleep. The cover of this pillow is soft & breathable, which not only maintains a comfortable temperature but also easily removable & machine washable. The manufacturer is willing to offer you a risk-free purchase with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- High density memory foam.
- Improves breathing .
- 100% risk free purchase.
- Breathable & washable cover.
- Large size.
- Prevents orthopedic health issues.
- Pillow too high.
Key Consideration Before Buying Pillows For Shoulder Pain Relief
Materials: The materials of your pillow is an essential factor to consider because it will provide you the amount of support you get at night. If your pillow were not made with the best materials, your pillow wouldn’t last long. The most conventional types of pillow materials are latex & memory foam.
Latex – it is known to be a highly durable material that has a quilted cushion layer. It makes your pillow to last longer & touch to feel soft.
Memory foam – it makes your pillow thicker & larger, which contours to your body to ensure maximum support.
- Loft: It is one of the essential factors when choosing the best pillow to meet your requirements. It influences how supportive the pillow feels. You can easily modify the loft of the pillow by unfolding the cover & adjoining or shifting the fill material to get the ideal loft. The loft of your pillow depends on several factors that include your sleep position, mattress types, shoulder width, head size. Back & stomach sleepers need less loft because this allows their head to lie evenly with the rest of their body & reduce neck & shoulder pain. Side sleepers require more loft to provide even spinal alignment, decreasing the pressure around the shoulder, lower back & hips.
- Support: a well adaptive supportive pillow remain your head upright while cradling the neck. A less supportive pillow will sink under the weight of your head. If you have chronic shoulder pain, you need a pillow to support your head & cushion your neck & shoulders.
- Firmness level: The firmness of the pillow is highly considerable, like your mattress. The perfect firmness level for any given sleeper depends mostly on personal preference. Some clients feel more comfortable on a softer pillow. Some clients prefer it feels firmer & more supportive pillow. Excessive firmness can also lead to added aches & pressure points. Too tight or too soft pillow not given you enough support to eliminate your shoulder pain & it can also worsen your shoulder pain.
- Pressure relief: The ideal pillow’s for pressure relief support your head & neck without inserting too deeply. If you are with smaller head & shorter shoulder, then a softer pillow ensures adequate relief of pressure but if you are with larger head & wider wingspan, you will probably find that a firmer pillow alleviates more pressure instead.
- Shape: Some fancier pillows for neck pain clients have an uneven shape that varies from the rectangular cut of conventional pillows. Usually, the pillow comes in one of two forms – one is a body pillow, and the other is includes a wedge.
- Body pillow – it generally has a flat surfacing. You can embrace for an added bolster around the neck & shoulder.
- Wedge pillow – it keeps your head & neck inclined. Using an inclined wedge pillow can ensure relief for shoulder pain due to radiation from the neck.
- Price: The price of the pillow can vary in a fairly wide range. It does not depend on your budget; there is a chance of the right choice for you. You should be able to find a premium quality pillow that reduces your shoulder pain for less than $ 100.
Best Pillow Positioning For Shoulder Pain
If you suffer from chronic shoulder pain, no sleep position may feel you comfortable. Certain angle & pillow positions may reduce some types of shoulder pain, depending on specific conditions & symptoms. Here are four useful pillow positioning options are outlined below.
- Back sleeping with a pillow in the armpit: Back sleeping is often the best position for you with shoulder pain. It promotes you to keep your spine & neck straight without putting added pressure on either shoulder. When you sleeping, try placing a pillow in the armpit area of your affected shoulder to reduce soreness or stiffness. In that case, the pillow will work as an effective blocker, protecting your shoulder.
- Side-lying with a pillow between the knees: It is a favorite position for pregnant women it can improve her spinal alignment by reducing the pressure in the lower back & hips. When you sleeping in a side-lying position, you place a pillow between the knees.
- Side-lying with a pillow under the back: If you adapted to side-lying sleeping in your whole life, it would be difficult to sleep you any other way during one-sided shoulder pain. To make the position more pleasant, you should place a thin pillow under your back & hips can even out the spine & reduce pain throughout the body, including the shoulder.
- Side-lying with a pillow in armpit: If you are suffering shoulder pain, try to avoid sleeping on the affected side. With the affected side shoulder upwards, you place a pillow under your affected shoulder’s armpit. Then place another pillow your legs right up to the pelvis area & embrace with the third pillow placing in front of your stomach. Place the fourth pillow under your head. This configuration promotes even spinal alignment & alleviates your shoulder pain.
Tips For Shoulder & Neck Pain Relief
- Find a better sleeping position
- Choose the right mattress
- Avoid sleeping on the painful side
Engage in physical therapy or stretching – stretching exercises is one of the best treatments of your shoulder pain.
Shoulder stretch – place your right hand on your left shoulder, cup your right elbow in your left hand. Then rolling your shoulders down & back then gently extend your right arm. Hold for a minimum of 30 seconds. Then repeat on the other side.
Triceps stretch – with your left palm on your left shoulder and cup the left elbow with your right hand. Then gently lift your left elbow upwards until you feel a tight spot & hold for a minimum of 30 seconds. Then try to repeat on the other side.
Chest stretch – Rolling your shoulder down & back & clasp your hands behind you with the palm facing towards you & finger interlock. Try to hold this position for a minimum of 30 seconds & repeat.
Physiotherapy – It is one of the first treatment methods for your shoulder pain to fix your problems such as stiffness & weakness & also retraining the movements related to your work or everyday activities, which are corresponding your shoulder problems.
Occupational therapy – If your everyday activities are challenging due to shoulder pain, occupational therapy may be helpful to teach you better ways to carry out daily activities such as bathing, dressing, working.
Use OTC pain relievers: Low dose NSAID can help control your shoulder pain while you work to maintain & restore movements & function. Medication is not considered a long time solution to your shoulder pain. It would be best if you talked to your doctor before taking any medication.
Surgery: If conservative methods do not reduce your shoulder pain, you may require surgery in a few cases. It may be needed for the following reasons –
- Recurrent or frequent dislocation.
- Acute or chronic rotator cuff tears.
- Severe joint damage due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis.
- Improve your posture.
- Must be avoid repetitive movements which can added extra pressure on shoulder.
FAQ – Frequently Ask Questions
What causes that shoulder pain radiates down the arm?
Several reasons for shoulder pain radiating down the arm. It can result from peripheral neuropathy, brachial neuritis, rotator cuff tendonitis, shoulder instability, labral injuries, muscle overuse, or damage.
Why does my shoulder hurt worse at night ?
My shoulder hurts worse at night due to a few different factors. It could be that anti-inflammatory hormone cortisol levels are naturally lower at night, plus consistent lying on your side can cause additional compression/damage muscles & tendons around the shoulder joint. At night shoulder muscles relax & the presence or lack of movements also allows joint fluid to settle & decrease blood flow, which aggravated the inflammation.
How should I sleep to relieve shoulder pain ?
It would help if you tried a different sleeping position to relieve the shoulder pain. Try to sleep on back to alleviate shoulder pain. Placing one pillow down your shoulder blade & beyond the neck. It will help your spine aligned while keeping weight off the injury region. You also try to side-lying with a hug a pillow, as this will put your top shoulder in an open position. Push the pillow up high under the arm. Use another thin pillow between knees when lying on the side or behind the thigh if you are lying on the back.
Can the wrong pillow make shoulder pain worse ?
Absolutely . If you are using a wrong pillow ,you are more likely to experience worsening shoulder pain. Because this pillow does not provide you enough support for head & neck. It also causes extra tension in your neck & shoulder muscles, ligaments & tendons ultimately worse your shoulder pain.
Can a mattress topper help with shoulder pain ?
Yes . A mattress topper can definitely helps to reduce shoulder pain. If your mattress inserted too much or feels excessively stiff , toppers are intended to change the firmness of the mattress either softer or firmer.
What is the most important consideration when choosing a pillow for shoulder pain?
The most important consideration when choosing a pillow for your help pain contains loft or thickness , firmness , shape & fill materials. Since everybody has different pillow choice ,we recommend trying different version to see which ones reduce pain. You shall see starting out consider pillow that give sleep trails with free or mostly free returns.
What is the fastest way to relieve shoulder pain?
The fastest way to relieve of your shoulder pain by apply an ice pack for up to 10 – 15 minutes , up to five times a day over on or around the shoulder which reduce inflammation. Taken OTC( over the counter) drugs like as acetaminophen or NSAID ( non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen may help to reduce pain if your doctor recommends them.
How long can shoulder pain last ?
Answer . Most of the cases shoulder pain are not produced anything serious & will start to ease within two weeks. For fully recovery from shoulder pain ,it can take 6 months or longer.
The best pillow can make a huge difference to give you relief & ensure you get a great night’s rest. Before taking any expensive therapies & medication, simply try to change your pillow to solve your shoulder pain. You must invest wisely in a pillow made of premium quality latex or memory foam, preferably with solid fitting or adjustable loft, cooling gel infusion & breathable cover. Use our review now it is not difficult to you find the best pillow for your shoulder pain while sleeping. Now go collect the best pillow so you can rest easy ,be pain – free & get on with your life.