Whether you are at home or work, having filtered water is necessary. Some refrigerators come with built-in water filters. These filters have built-in water technology, and the effectiveness of these devices varies. Some microorganisms, such as coliform and salmonella, affect your health and water quality. Refrigerator water filters will help you filter out those pollutants. But unfortunately, refrigerators aren’t always as clean as they should be. The dispenser used to store the filtered water may carry germs as well.
Carbon filters are commonly used in refrigerator filters to eliminate compounds that spoil taste and smell. The efficiency of a refrigerator filter is dependent on the water remaining in contact with the carbon for an extended period. The water filter in the refrigerator is often hidden. If we fail to refill or clean our water filters, they become filled with bacteria, putting us in danger. Refrigerator water filters can save our lives with clean water. But without proper usage and maintenance, it can put our lives in danger as well. Today we will be talking about the dangers of refrigerator water filters.
How Does A Refrigerator Water Filter Work?
Refrigerator water filters draw their water supply from your home’s plumbing system and filter it through a series of filtration methods inside the refrigerator. The first water filter usually removes large particles such as clay, silt, sand, and soil. The second filter comprises zinc and copper and extracts chlorine from your water. A type of carbon filter is used in the final stage to remove all other microscopic contaminants. This also enhances the taste and smell of the water. Different filtration methods improve the water’s quality by adding minerals that may be available depending on the refrigerator filter.
Refrigerator water filters vary from all other forms in many aspects. For starters, they are connected to your refrigerator. This ensures that the tap water will remain unfiltered, and you cannot drink directly from the faucet. You can if you have a faucet built directly into your fridge door, from which you can drink cold, ice water.
Dangers of Refrigerator Water Filters
If used correctly, refrigerator water filters will provide you with clean and healthy water whenever you need it. But it will not happen by itself. To make the filtration system running smoothly, you have to make sure the filter and the dispenser are clean. Let’s talk about why you must keep your filter and dispenser clean.
Refrigerator filters get jammed when they extract whatever chemicals and particles they can from the water. These filters should be replaced every six months, and failing to do so can have dangerous consequences. If you don’t change your filter, you might be drinking dangerous bacteria, chemicals, and particles any time you get a glass of water from the fridge.
When refrigerator filters are not working, it is normal to find E.coli and coliform bacteria in your water. These bacteria can be harmful to your health. Some refrigerators do not have warning lights to let you know when the filter needs to be adjusted. Often the filter itself usually is out of sight, making it easy to forget to perform the required maintenance. Set a reminder to replace your refrigerator water filter. Otherwise, you might be exposed to dangerously polluted water.
If the water coming from your refrigerator is polluted, it might not be due to the filter. According to one source, the refrigerator water dispenser is the germiest place in your kitchen. They discovered that most of these dispensers have concerning amounts of mold and yeast on them.
The dispenser can also collect airborne dirt from rotting food in your kitchen. These pollutants and bacteria can be picked up as the water flows through the dispenser. Even if the refrigerator filter is sufficient, the dispenser’s dirt will make the water contaminated.
Are Water Filters In Refrigerators Important?
New refrigerator filters produce clean water, reduce pollutants, and protect the water from bacteria. Carbon, on the other hand, has a limited amount of storage space. The longer you will delay replacing your filter, the worse your water will get. If you don’t replace your refrigerator’s water filter, you have to bear the following consequences:
- The filter in your machine will get jammed. Since it is filled with dirt and debris, it can no longer filter. When the water keeps running out, you know it’s time to change your filter.
- The carbon will reach its maximum capacity. Even if the filter’s surface area is full, water continues to flow through it, so pollutants are carried along.
- Bacteria will grow in your filter. Bacteria increases when a filled carbon filter absorbs particles that living organisms feed on.
Advantages of Refrigerator Water Filters
- Refrigerator water filters greatly enhance the taste and remove any unpleasant smells by eliminating fluoride and chlorine from tap water.
- Refrigerator water filters make drinking water much better by eliminating unwanted toxins and even mineralizing it.
- They’re incredibly efficient. A single filter cartridge in a standard refrigerator water filter will filter hundreds or thousands of gallons of water before needing to be replaced.
- They save a significant amount of money. Bottled water costs up to 1000 times more than tap water. Although a refrigerator isn’t free, it does make tap water tastier and healthier without increasing the cost.
- They are non-toxic and safe for the environment. Filters, such as refrigerator water filters, positively affect the environment by reducing bottled water usage.
- In most cases, refrigerator water filters can make ice from the water they have filtered.
Disadvantages of Refrigerator Water Filters
- They might reduce your fridge space.
- If your refrigerator water filter breaks down, you may have to replace the entire fridge or go through an unpleasant repair.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
We are putting on some frequently asked questions to clarify you.
Are water filters in refrigerators effective?
Refrigerator filters work well for their intended purpose. They’re excellent at reducing chlorine taste, smell, and debris. They won’t soften water, dissolve iron, or protect you from health problems if you drink untreated water. If your water comes from a well, you’re liable for its protection. You would need more than a refrigerator filter to handle it.
Is it possible to get sick from drinking old refrigerator water?
Refrigerator filters are only meant to be used with clean water. Viruses and bacteria have also been chemically treated in city water. However, if you use a filter for more than a year, your tap water could become contaminated with all of the previously blocked pollutants. Living organisms may attack your body and trigger flu-like symptoms if you use an old filter.
Recommended Article: Filtered Water vs Boiled Water
Tap water can be dangerous if you drink it without any filtration system. Filtering it with a refrigerator water filter will not assure safety if you don’t use it properly. As you already know the dangers of refrigerator water filters, we hope that wouldn’t stop you from using them. With the proper maintenance mentioned above, you can get the water you want using a refrigerator water filter.