Have you ever asked yourself the source of skin wrinkles as people age? Today we seek to answer your question. Your body has a mechanism of maintaining its elasticity. This is with the help of collagen. Collagen is a protein that maintains the elasticity and smoothness of your skin. When you are young, the body produces enough collagen that helps in smoothing and firming your skin. This makes sure that your skin does not sag. As you age, the collagen production in your body reduces. This occurs mostly between the age of 35 and 40 years.
If you want to counter skin sagging, use collagen-filled products. Such products include retinol, vitamin C, and glycolic acid. But what of the collagen supplements? Definitely, that question should be running in your mind. There are powders and pills in the market that have these collagen-boosting supplements. However, all collagen supplements are not equally made and that’s why you need to learn the difference between different types of these supplements. Before that, let’s first understand what causes the sagging of the skin.
Causes Of Sagging Skin
Although treatable and non-harmful, sagging skin can really lower your self-esteem. As mentioned above, sagging of skin happens when your young, beautiful, and firm skin stretches and loses its ability to hold back into place. Mostly, this condition affects areas around the chin, eyelids, jowls, stomach, upper arms, and throat among others. Though some incidences of skin sag come naturally, others are caused by external factors that are so easy to avoid. Therefore, treatment of this condition starts by knowing its root cause. To avert from this self-esteem lowering condition, we have seen it prudent to help you understand some of the common factors that cause it.
As we grow old, skin sags forming wrinkles. Have you ever wondered why? That is why aging is the root cause of many sagging skin conditions. As you age, your dermis skin layer reduces the manufacture of collagen and elastin proteins in the skin. Note that elastin is responsible to firm your skin giving it a perfect elasticity. On the other hand, collagen helps to maintain your skin structure and firmness. When these two diminishes from the body, sagging of the skin is normally the end result.
Also, as you age, your connective tissues and muscles weaken, deteriorate and elongate causing skin laxity. After, your skin becomes less taut, grows old, and sags. Last but not least, age causes decrease production of natural oil. This diminishes fat stored under the layers of your skin causing it to become loose and saggy.
2. Weight loss
Most gym fanatics know that sagging of skin is a common side effect. This is because gyming is associated with loss of fat. When you are overweight, excessive storage of fat in the skin damages your collagen and elastin fibers. Therefore, when you lose weight, it will be nearly impossible to regain back your skin’s firmness. Also, once your body sheds off excessive fats under your skin, it loosens and makes it look saggy.
3. Harmful ultraviolet light
Exposure to ultraviolet radiation is another threat to firm and young skin. How? These rays cause free radicals on your skin layers that are so effective in destroying and breaking down your collagen and elastin skin connective tissues. This causes your skin to lose its strength, firmness, and flexibility thus becoming saggy.
Lack of sufficient water in the body is deadly not only to the internal organs but also to your skin. When your body gets dehydrated, your skin connective tissues; collagen becomes dry and cracked. This destroys your skin elasticity which in return makes its saggy.
When you smoke, you are inhaling tobacco toxins. Nicotine is one toxin found in tobacco and once inhaled, it enters your bloodstream causing a number of harmful effects. One of them is constraining the flow of blood to your skin. This affects the skin’s elastin and collagen production thus making your skin drop and appear saggy. Nicotine also dehydrates your skin, causing premature aging.
It’s no doubt that pregnancy expands your skin. This over stretches and weakness your skin connective tissues: collagen and elastin. Thereafter, you skin will sag with trouble to reshape back in place.
Types Of Collagen Supplements
As mentioned, collagen supplements have several benefits in your body. However, you need to know which ways you should consume them. Below are various forms of collagen supplements in the market. It’s good to mention that the supplement form determines the mode of administration.
- Collagen powder: Powder form collagen supplements are very common. To take it, you can add the powder to your normal drinks. Additionally, you can also put it in your daily recipes. Collagen powder is made with hydrolyzed collagen broken down into amino acids. These are the collagen peptides that are easier to absorb in your body.
- Collagen pills: Pills are in form of tablets or capsules. So, the collagen powder will definitely be in form of a tablet or capsules and are administered in the body orally.
- Gummy collage: Some collagens exist in form of chewing gums. The chewing gums resemble candy. To administer them, all you need to do is chew the candy-looking product as you swallow the helpful content.
- Liquid collagen: This is a drink prepared and mixed with collagen. Note that the supplement contains hydrolyzed collagen. Collagen is miscible in liquids.
- Collagen protein bars: There are several products in the market given in form of bars. So, you can get collagen in form of bars. Generally, collagen supplements are not only for skin health but for joint health.
Role Of Collagen In The Skin
If you have ever looked for a product that can help you to reduce aging, most likely collagen is on that list. Note that most products in the market claim to have collagen supplements. However, very few will explain its role on your skin. Below are some of the benefits collagens have on your skin.
- Strengthening your skin: As said, the main aim of collagen in the skin is to bring elasticity. Collagen protein makes sure that your skin is strong and does not sag. Also, it is the main structural protein of the extracellular space of connective tissues. This includes the dermis. The connective tissue of the dermis is the one that provides strength and elasticity to the skin. This is through an extracellular matrix that has collagen and elastin fibers.
- Removes wrinkles on skins: When the production of collagen reduces in the body, you will notice formation of wrinkles in your skin. This is because the skins become dry and draw lines at the end. The purpose of the collagen in your body is to give the skin moisture. The moisture will reduce the skin dryness hence doing away with the wrinkles. Also, the collagen improves the elasticity in the skin.
- Maintenance of skin structure: Collagen produces protein that helps in maintaining the skin structure. Taking in the collagen supplement contributes to the production of such proteins. Such proteins include fibrillin and elastin. Other sources claim the supplements also help in preventing acne though it is not proven.
- Helps in healing of scars: Without collagen in the body, you would lack structure and shape. As mentioned, collagen helps in tissue formation. When the wound is healing, collagen rearranges and restructure like the former skin. This is usually in form of scar tissue. However, the genetics of a person determine if your scar is bumpy or unnoticeable. The bumpy scars form as a result of collagen buildup. This is because of hyperactive fibroblast activity.
Best Collagen Supplement For Sagging Skin
1. Youtheory Collagen with Vitamin C
If you have started experiencing sagging of skin, worry not! This is because this supplement got you covered. How? It comprises hydrolyzed collagen protein that is utterly simplified for faster and easier absorption in the body. Also, it contains 18 distinct amino acids that are helpful not only to your skin but also to your joints and bones. Moreover, it has an improved joint formula that strengthens both your hair and nails. This means that your hair will be thicker and much stronger, due to the increased collagen availability.
On top of that, it exhibits collagen peptides that have vitamin C that reduces sagging of the skin. This is normally evident through fine lines and wrinkles. Its users will also acquire stronger tendons and ligaments. Although this supplement is easily available in retail stores, it is advisable to seek your doctor’s advice before use. This is because people require different levels of collagen based on their age.
You must note that the latter is not intended for people less than 18 years of age. Additionally, pregnant women or nursing women should not use this product without their doctor’s advice. In addition, most prescriptions suggest that you take up to three tablets in a day, for improved effectiveness. On the upside, this product does not contain any gluten ingredients, and it’s both dairy-free and soy-free. It is usually packed in a small container, which makes carrying it around even more easily. You can simply toss it into your bag and carry it to work or to the gym.
- Improves the strength of your hair.
- Strengthens your bones and ligaments as well as your skin.
- It is hydrolyzed for a faster absorption by the body.
- Easy to carry around.
- To some users, these pills has some side effects like headache and fatigue
2. Dr. Emil Nutrition Multi Collagen Plus Pills
Just like the previously mentioned supplement, DR Emil also comes to inform of pill-like capsules. The capsules are enhanced with BioPerin for faster absorption by the body. The product comprises a blend of chicken eggshell, marine collagen sources, and grass-fed bovine. On top of that, it assimilates together five different types of collagen hydrolysate. With this, it ensures an all-around collagen supplementation effect on your body. It also means that it dispenses different effects on your body. These include healthier hair and nails as well as an anti-aging effect.
The fact that the product consolidates up to five different collagen hydrolysates, its effect on your skin is so effective. In fact, it dispels fine lines, wrinkles, and skin sagging almost instantly, helping users to look younger and healthier.
Besides that, the product improves your joints and strengthens your bones. Therefore, if you are a gym fanatic, this supplement would be very good for you. When it comes to its consumption, users are advised to take up to three capsules per day. If you have underlying health conditions, below age, pregnant, or are a nursing mother, it is advisable to seek your doctor’s advice before using this product.
According to the manufacturer, at times, this product can cause some negative effects, especially for first-time users. This includes things such as stomach aches, heartburn, bloating, and even bad tastes. If you suffer from fish allergies, this product is not recommendable for you.
- It is easy to carry around
- Has an all round effect on your body due to the
- They are enhanced with BioPerine for faster absorption by the body.
- Effective for gym users
- It is not advisable for individuals who suffer from fish allergies.
- At times it brings negative effects to users during first time use.
- It cannot be dissolved into foods or drinks.
3. Premium Collagen Peptides Powder Supplement
In most cases, people prefer mixing their supplements with food or drinks rather than taking them directly. However, not all supplements are designed in such a dissolvable way. Nevertheless, the above product comes in powder form that is dissolvable in liquid. So, it allows users to mix it with liquids like smoothies and yogurts with little altering their tastes. Just add two scoops of the supplement into your drink and let it dissolve well before consumption. Note that each scoop contains up to 8 grams of collagen. You can also add it into any of your recipes (e.g. soups) before consumption.
It is advisable for users to take the product at least once or twice per day, for better results. Also, it contains up to 18 different amino acids that ensure maximum effect on your body. Actually, it improves your tendons, ligaments, and muscle repair. Also, it ameliorates your skin elasticity by reducing sagging hence allowing you to look younger. If you have any wrinkles, this product will not only eliminate them but also make your skin softer.
Some of the ingredients used to prepare it are very rich in glycine. This glycine greatly improves your digestion. Actually, this product is usually derived from highly grass-fed and pasture-raised hides. Hence, it is very effective.
- Conveniently packed for easy carriage.
- Effective for sagging skin
- Dissolvable into a drink for easier consumption.
- It contains up to 18 different amino acids.
- Flavors that alter the taste of liquids
4. Sports Research Store Collagen Peptides Powder
This is yet another effective collagen powder supplement that will leave your skin, hair, tendons, ligaments, and bones stronger. The product comes packed in a 32oz sized jar with no altering flavors. Therefore, you can mix it with your favorite drink or even cook it in your preferred recipes with no change of taste.
Each of its scoops contains 11 grams of type one and type three collagen peptides. Moreover, it comprises hydrolyzed bovine collagen peptides that are very easy for absorption by the bloodstream. Its collagen peptides have up to 18 amino acids. These include hydroxyproline, proline, and glycine. Glycine is very suitable for the skin and helps to firm back your saggy skin.
As if not enough, this company allows users to return the product in case they don’t like it. However, this should be within the first ninety days after purchase. Last but not the least, this product is Non-GMO verified, as well as Keto and Paleo certified. Therefore, it is perfectly fit for human consumption.
- It is fully verified and certified for safe human consumption.
- It comes packed in a small container, thus being very easy to carry around
- Refundable in case a client fails to like the product.
- It can be mixed with foods and drinks for easier consumption.
- It has up to 18 different amino acids.
- Several complains of itchy rushes side effects
5. Garden of Life Grass Fed Collagen Beauty
If you thought that powdered collagen supplements were all flavorless, let me introduce you to the distinct latter that is flavored. It is available in a strawberry sweet lemonade flavor. On top of that, the above product comprises plant-based collagen builders that are backed up by a 100% grass-fed bovine. It includes both type one and type three collagen peptides making it very ideal for your hair, nails, and firming of your saggy skin. Continuous use of this product gives users more radiant and intact skin by dispelling wrinkles and fine lines. Besides that, it contains up to 1.5 billion CFU probiotics that function to improve your digestion. This reduces other cases such as bloating and constipation.
Its flavored nature makes it even more convenient to mix with drinks as it makes them tastier. To use it, one scoop is enough per day and should be used under your doctor’s advice. Its making meets all the desired industry requirements as it is both Keto and Paleo certified. You should also note that this product is strictly not intended for children. Therefore always ensure that it’s out of their reach.
- Mixable with foods and drinks for easier consumption
- It meets all the required industry standards.
- It exhibits a highly absorbable nature.
- So effective in firming your saggy skin
- Its flavored nature tampers with the natural tastes of some drinks.
6. Vital Proteins Beauty Collagen Peptides Powder Supplement for Women
It is very definite that the vast majority of women love glowing skin that is intact and less saggy. Actually, most of them hate things to do with wrinkles and stretch marks. However, since aging is inevitable, the above product will help you curb some of the effects brought about by aging. To be more precise, it increases collagen availability in your body.
This product is made from a cocktail of; beet, lavender, probiotics, hyaluronic acid, and bovine hide collagen peptides. The product in turn improves your hair, nails, joints, tendons, and firms your sagging skin.
Using this product is also very simple; you just add a single scoop into your tea, wait for it to dissolve then drink. It is advisable to take this product only once or twice per day for more effective results. Even though the latter comes in different varieties but none of them have any additives or added sweeteners or fillers. In addition to that, it is both gluten and sugar-free. On the downside, this product is meant for women alone.
- Effective in healing a saggy skin
- It is very affordable (goes for 35$).
- Can be dissolved into foods and drinks for easier consumption.
- Have other benefits like improving hair and bone health.
- Not suitable for men consumption.
7. ELEMIS Pro-collagen Cleansing Balm, Super Cleansing Treatment Balm
Unlike most collagen supplements on our list, this product is exceptional as it comes to inform of a cleansing balm. That means you should apply it on your skin just like you do with lotions. Albeit, when applying it, you should massage it deeply and gently for absorption (this should be done in light circular movements). After you have applied it to the skin, wait for a short while and then remove it with a warm damp cleansing cloth. Actually, it comes with its own luxury and soft cleansing cloth for that purpose.
This product comprises a very unique ingredient known as Padina Pavonica. The essence of this particular ingredient is to bring hydration to your skin. This cleanser washes off all the impurities on your skin including make-up. This in turn lives your skin hydrated and moisturized. So what does it have to do with sagging skin? Hydrating your skin enhances the production of collagen proteins that help to firm loose and saggy skin.
On the downside, this product is only applicable on the outer skin. That means, it has no internal benefits to your body. Since this product is more of a cosmetic product, you do not need to seek medical assistance before using it.
- Applicable to both men and women.
- You do not need doctor’s advice before using it.
- It is very easy to use.
- Enhances production of collagen tissue that firms your saggy skin
- It is only applicable to the skin and effective other areas like the hair, nails and ligaments.
8. Olay Regenerist Collagen Peptide 24 Face Moisturizer
This is another very effective collagen peptide cream with a lightweight formula that helps it get absorbed very fast on your skin. The supplement is in form of a cream and once applied. It gives you up to 24 hours of hydration. Its subtle formula eliminates any sticky and greasy feel on your skin just like collagen peptides. More also, it eliminates wrinkles and fine line hence making your skin look very firm.
This formula consists of ingredients such as collagen peptides and vitamin B3+. These two ingredients play a key role in transforming your skin’s appearance. However, you should note that results tend to manifest based on a few factors. This includes factors such as how frequent, and consistent you are in using the cream. In most cases, the results start to show after the first 14days of consistent use.
The cream is very simple to use. You just smooth it over your face and neck every morning and night for more effectiveness. Double application per day ensures that you get 24 hours of complete hydration. Finally, since this s product is just but a cream, it is only for skin betterment goals.
- It gets absorbed very fast by the skin.
- It comes with a free one week facial moisturizer.
- Its rich in collagen that helps to firm a sagging skin
- It is only meant for external use.
What To Look Before Buying Collagen Supplement
Collagen supplements are very important in your body. As earlier said, they are so many in the market. So, there are several factors that you should consider before you buy one.
Type of collagen: Collagen is basically a protein found in an animal or human. Most supplement products are either bovine-derived or marine. This means they are either derived from animals or fish. However, there are other types of protein even though they are great but do not have collagen.
When looking for a collagen supplement, here is what to look for. A better option is a hydrolyzed bovine collagen option. It has a diverse amino acid profile that has types I and III. According to experts, these two types are the most potent forms of collagen for your skin. You can source both types I and III from bovine or cow bones. Additionally, type I can come from fish. If you want to get collagen powder from animals, get bones that are antibiotic-free. Also, it is good to consider cage-free and free-range sources too.
The ingredients in the collagen: If you want to get quality collagen with 90% protein, get the one without colors and sweeteners. Also, quality collagen does not need to have flavors. Experts advise taking the collagen one to two times every day for three months. This is if you want to get positive results. Note, collagen dissolves in all foods and liquids. So, this guarantees you of using it in drinks and foods. It is good to ask your doctor if you acquire a new supplement.
Read the label: You need to be careful about the manufacturer where your supplement is from. This is because FDA does not closely regulate supplements. However, there are other third parties that test the supplement and ensure they are safe. So, when buying one, get the quality collagen product in the market. They have a label from third parties like NSF or USP. Besides, it ensures that your collagen does not contain harmful substances. Such substances are like heavy metals.
Best Ways to tighten Your Sagging Skin
Most people experience body sagging at the age of 35 to 40 years. Also, when a woman gives birth, chances are high that their skin can sag. Fortunately, there are ways to tighten your sagging skin. Below are some of these ways.
1. Collagen supplements
As discussed above, collagen supplements can help you to tighten your sagging skin. They produce supplements responsible for producing moisture. This moisture prevents the skin from drying. Also, the collagen produced helps in giving back the skin its elasticity. So, if you want your sagging skin to tighten, start using collagen supplements.
Massage improves the blood flow and stimulates fibroblasts. Fibroblasts cells play a very major role in your body. They help in producing connective tissue like collagen and elastin. These two tissues help in keeping the skin firm. Studies suggest that massage may also increase the production of mitochondria that is key in cellular metabolism. When we have mitochondria dysfunction, there is skin aging. So, doing some daily massage may reduce skin sagging.
Doing physical exercise is important for your health. It helps a lot when it comes to age balancing. Some research shows that the endurance you get when you are doing an exercise can harden your skin. This helps to reduce the skin sagging.
4. Nonsurgical procedures
These procedures do not involve any cutting or punctures. The procedures are usually done by dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons. They can perform such procedures to help you to reduce some loose skin. The process takes short time however it may not work for severe cases of sagging skin. There are a lot of such procedures that include;
- Ultrasound: This works with the deepest layers of skin. You may notice the changes within 2 to 6 months of the first treatment. Generally, when you undergo this, it will last for one year.
- Laser treatment: This procedure focuses on the outer layer of the skin also known as the epidermis. The results are not as effective as ultrasound. This may need you to undergo three to five treatments for an effective change. The results are visible between two and six months. Also, they are most common with upper arms and belly.
- Nonsurgical radiofrequency: In this procedure, the dermatologist will heat the tissue underneath. In most cases, you need only one treatment to see a change.
You can reduce skin sagging and wrinkles by neutralizing the reactive oxygen species. This is possible through antioxidants and antioxidative enzymes. Antioxidants help in the stimulation of collagen and elastin. Examples of this are Vitamin A, C, D, and E. Also, there is coenzyme Q10, selenium, and Zinc. Many will obtain these substances mostly in their diet.
FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
Do collagen supplements work?
When it comes to human health, there are hundreds of researches conducted every year. There are many scientific studies done on collagen and whether they help. But, most if not all, are from the manufacturers. So, when getting the reviews, you expect to contain some salt addition. This is for the marketing benefit. So, with that said, there is evidence and reviews that speak of the benefits of collagen. Additionally, most experts recommend people use them. This is because they are proteins. In the end, there is no harm in taking them.
Are there side effects of collagen supplements?
It is hard to rule out there are no side effects though there are no recorded cases of the same. However, people respond differently to different substances. Remember these are proteins and there are people allergic to proteins. So, you expect when they take such supplements, there can be somebody’s reaction. Besides, if you are under certain dietary restrictions, be cautious about the supplement. To wrap up, always consult with the doctor before you start taking a new supplement.
How long does it take for collagen supplements to work?
Anything that is affecting anyone of your body part does not need a quick fix. You will need patience for you to see the results. However, the effect of collagen in your body depends on how much you are taking. Also, the frequency of how you are taking counts. The key thing when measuring is how your body is processing the collagen. But experts say that it should take between one month and three months. However, the most ideal time remains to be three months.
What do we mean by hydrolyzed?
The word hydrolyzed means that the product is usually broken into small sizes. The small sizes are easily absorbed in the body. In this context, collagen proteins break into amino acids for easy absorption in the body.
Why does my collagen contain vitamin C and hyaluronic acid?
In most cases, you will spot ingredients like vitamin C and hyaluronic acid in the collagen. The function of Vitamin C is to stimulate collagen synthesis. With hyaluronic acid is for skin moisture.
Which is better between marine-based and bovine-based collagen?
Choosing between Marine-based or bovine-based collagen depends on your preference. This is because the main aim is to stimulate the production of collagen protein in your body. However, if you are on a pescatarian diet, marine-based collagen is the best option to get.
Sagging skin can be frustrating especially for fashionistas and models. However, making sure that your body is producing enough collagen can help your skin. It is obvious your skin will probably start sagging at the age of 35-40 years. However, with good body maintenance, your skin will not have wrinkles. It is not a must to use the supplements though. There are several natural methods you can use to get your skin better. Getting collagen supplements is one sure way to get the results you want and get rid of the wrinkles within a short period. Try either of the above-mentioned products and you won’t regret it. All the best!