Does the caption we mentioned above make you bamboozled or scared? Or maybe you are confused to sort out the terms as it seems like some critical medical treatment. Here is the good news for you: neither the term Red Light Therapy nor Cellulite is bad for your health.
Cellulite is a skin condition that occurs as a visible lumpy appearance in the skin. Women, in most cases, live with this unexpected dimpled appearance. Especially women with overweight and older ages happen to see cellulite around the thighs, belly, hips, and other body parts. Cellulite is not a disease, and it doesn’t need medical concern.
Women especially try to reduce cellulite from the skin by maintaining some traditional treatments. They ask for some effective processes besides dieting, topical cream, and exercise. Fortunately, fast and effective treatment is available to get rid of cellulite. The most popular and risk-free treatment for cellulite is Red Light Therapy or near-infrared light therapy.
Red light therapy is a modern therapeutic process to treat cellulite. Scientists have found that light therapy promotes the growth of cells, which helps rejuvenate the skin. The strong light stimulates collagen production and boosts blood circulation. In this article, you will find the information and the facts fruitful about Red Light Therapy for Cellulite.
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a fat substance beneath your skin that causes a dimpled and lumpy appearance. It is also called orange peel skin, cottage cheeses, or mattress phenomenon to form dimpled skin. Nearly 90% of women find this skin issue on their hips, buttocks, thighs, and other areas.
Cellulite mostly occurs due to weakened connective tissue below the skin surfaces. It happens when a vertical band of connective tissue called septae connects the skin layer of the dermis. After accumulating fat cells, chambers get squeezed and the fat layer pushes the skin while the septae pull it down.
These two opposite directions create the surface of cellulite. Many people try to improve this skin condition with some medically proven treatment, Red light therapy is one of them.
Causes of Cellulite
Cellulite is always noticeable and hard to remove. The causes of cellulite are not fully clear but tend to worsen if you gain weight. Most of the studies show that fat is the common reason behind developing cellulite, and the female body develops cellulite more than the male body.
But it is also a proven fact that even a fit body can appear with cellulite. Ultimately, whether you are heavy or thin, men or women, cellulite can affect you because the formation of cellulite is connected with several factors including age, weight, hormones, genetics, skin texture, and others.
Besides these possible causes, some other factors can cause cellulite such as poor diet, smoking, unhealthy lifestyle, frequent sitting, etc. The following factors are likely to involve cellulite:
- Hormone: The hormone is the most common cause of cellulite. A hormone named Estrogen plays an important role to regulate fat in some specific body parts like the thigh, buttock, and abdomen. If your body is availed with high estrogen especially while in pregnancy or taking a birth control pill, there is a high chance to develop cellulite. That’s why cellulite is less common in men.
- Genetics: Predisposing factors, the genetic component is one of the major causes of cellulite. You have more chance to experience this skin issue if your family has this. Some genes are identified by scientists, which are believed to be the reasons behind the continuation of cellulite in families.
- Age: At a young age, connective tissues remain elastic and keep skin smooth. When puberty affects hormones that wreak havoc on the tissues and turns the connective tissues less elastic. On the other hand, your fat cells push against the skin throughout adulthood. Gradually, your outer layer of skin gets damaged due to a lack of elasticity.
- Skin texture: The male septae are arranged diagonally. On the other hand, female septae run vertically. Males also have a thicker skin layer than female’s skin. That’s why the appearance of cellulite is more common in females.
- Lifestyles: Lack of proper diet and exercise hold a fair share of contribution for cellulite. Some bad habits can lead to this problem like smoking or frequent sitting.
Does Light Therapy Work on Cellulite?
Red light therapy is a safe, harmless and non-invasive way to treat cellulite. In this process, the light-emitting diode (LED) helps to promote cellular functions. In the following, here are “how does the red therapy work for cellulite.
Red Light Therapy is a specific wavelength of light that boosts mitochondria and stimulates the production of collagen. Bedside that, it provides more nutrition to the skin by increasing blood circulation and helps to reduce cellulite. Reversing the breakdown of collagen improves skin firmness and the heat improves the system of lymphatic drainage.
Infrared light helps to break down fat faster. Poor mitochondrial function also can occur stress and depression along with cellulite. Researchers found that mitochondrion chromatophores reduce cellulite and also improve blood lipids. It is already proven that after some infrared sessions, cellulite can diminish. This therapy is also suggested for pain management and healing faster.
Red light therapy can increase the productivity of massage, which helps to reduce cellulite. It treats the area where only massage cannot manage, especially upper, middle, and lower thigh areas. Cellulite is more visible in those areas, so the therapist suggests Red light therapy besides massage.
See More: 10 Best Massagers For Cellulite – Reviews & Buying Guide
Control weight and obesity
Red light and NIR light therapy is the most effective process for reducing fat. Because light therapy enhances the physical activity and promotes metabolic profile, it will affect fat and stimulate metabolism. Though cellulite occurs due to obesity, light therapy can reduce the fat mass and insulin, which can help to diminish cellulite.
Red Light Therapy for Cellulite
The latest medical treatment of cellulite is Red light therapy, which also works for pain management and skin issues. There are two types of LED panels in the RED Light machine. The Bio series works with NIR and Red light, and the BIOMAX series offers exclusive light.
If you want to know the process of reducing cellulite completely, the safe answer is “Red light therapy”. The researchers concluded that exposure to red light therapy cut down the circumference, improve skin, reduce weight, and decrease cellulite. Here are some points why red light therapy is a common treatment for cellulite.
- That infrared light increases blood flow and improves overall circulation and penetrates the tissue area and provides smooth surfaces. Infrared light improves the lymphatic system and leads to reduce fat.
- Red light also stimulates the production of collagen and helps to restore elasticity.
- When your body absorbs light it helps to perform the cells properly and helps to improve overall skin.
- Red light therapy increases circulation which helps your body to get more oxygen to the muscles and helps you to smooth your skin surfaces.
- This type of light enhances energy production and regulates the cell’s ability to create ATP (Cell’s energy), which is the root of all the benefits.
- Since it is an effective, safe, and risk-free treatment and there are no harmful effects people are more interested in this therapy for cellulite reduction.
- With the use of light-emitting diode LED bulbs and near-infrared (NIR) light, this therapy alters cellular function such as cellular metabolism and energy. The light can stimulate the production of energy of mitochondria.
How to Use Red Light Therapy for Cellulite
Red light therapy or low-level laser beam dramatically helps to treat cellulite. It reduces overall body circumference measurements of our body organs and provides excellent results. In light therapy, the patient lies down or sits in front of the light for a specific duration. A dermatologist will suggest the time regularly. The patient needs to wrap the body with a large silicon bandage, and the doctor uses light around the leg, thigh, and other areas. Sometimes it can be administrated by the lamp, laser, or wrapping the specific areas to use infrared light.
Nowadays, high LED light devices are available, and you can use them at home also. The combination of red light (630nm and 660nm) with NIR Light (830nm and 850nm) have effective therapeutic benefit for reducing cellulite. Usually, the dermatologist uses a wavelength range of 400 to 700 nanometers as a treatment of cellulite. Generally, the session will be 3 to 5 days per week for 10 to 20 minutes.
See More: Cupping For Cellulite (Cellulite Suction Cup)! Does It Really Work?
Does Red Light Therapy have Side Effects?
Red light therapy is considered invasive, safe, and risk-free treatment. Nowadays, RLT application is getting common for very few side effects. It can be used in salons, gyms, wellness centers, even at home also. We suggest consulting with a dermatologist or expert before taking this therapy. Though it is safe, the only concern will be using the device properly while using it at home. Sometimes accidental burns can happen due to wrong or broken wires.
Dermatologists always need to take extra care of eyes because eyes tend to be affected during laser application. Moreover, there are no side effects of RLT because it is a complete safety-graded process. But one thing to be remembered is that too much use of this treatment can damage your cell. When you choose the product for home use, then consider a high-quality renowned brand. Anyone who has severe skin issues should avoid RLT and consult an expert. It is better to visit the doctor for the RLT application.
Red Light Therapy for Cellulite Before and After
Cellulite is a lumpy skin surface that usually happens on the buttock or thigh and other body places. All races and both men and women can be affected. Red light therapy is the most effective cellulite treatment, and patients need several sessions to complete treatment. For the obvious result, Red Light therapy is gaining huge popularity around the world. There are some preparations and maintenance to follow for a better result from RLT. Here are some tips for you if you want to take red light therapy.
- If you have a headache then skip it immediately and wait until your headache goes.
- You should wear goggles during the session.
- Take treatments for your other skin issues like acne, and pimple before taking this therapy.
- Make sure you pick the light with the right wavelength.
- Be careful if you do RLT at home because all the devices are not equal, some cheaply made devices can hamper your skin.
- To see the potential change you can use the combination of red and inferred light properly.
- You might take cream for a couple of weeks to alleviate soreness though it is not common from RLT.
- You wouldn’t see any significant difference after 2 or 3 sessions. So you need to wait until multiple sessions for smoother skin.
- The connective tissue replicates slowly. So wait around 20 days to see the optimal result.
- To reduce excess fat you need consistency and patience. Lack of consistency wouldn’t treat cellulite properly.
- You must maintain a healthy lifestyle with a proper diet and regular exercise. For permanent loss of cellulite, stay committed to diet and exercise besides red light therapy.
How many minutes should I use red light therapy?
Red light therapy is an effective way, and it doesn’t take too long for the therapy process. You only need 10 to 20 minutes per session of light. Usually, dermatologists take more time than home use because of the preparation. If you use RLT at home, choose a therapy device that is easy to use; within a few minutes, you can complete sessions.
How many times a week should you use red light therapy?
To get the best result, you need frequent sessions. Usually, if you take the therapy at your home, you can take 3 to 5 sessions in a week. If you go for professional help, then a dermatologist will set up a session chart accordingly. Don’t stop the session until the cellulite is completely resolved. We recommend keeping this therapy session on your to-do list daily or nearly daily for repairing cellulite.
Can you put red light therapy directly on the skin?
Red light therapy is completely safe. You can use it on your skin directly, but too much light has risk factors. Using too much or excessive light can damage your cells. The doctor will suggest some preparations like cleaning or exfoliating skin. In this therapy, there is no need to use any protective gel. In professional sessions, dermatologists use a wrap with silicon bandage for high wavelength.
It is already proven that infrared technology comes with incredibly effective remedies for skin difficulties. Researchers found that you can improve your cellulite condition with Red light Therapy without noticeable side effects. Besides cellulite, you can get other improvements such as weight loss, skin firming, pain management, etc.
However, some people see faster results than others. You shouldn’t expect significant change after two or three sessions. Consider Red Light therapy as an exercise for cells. Your skin requires multiple and frequent sessions of red light therapy, and you need consistency with patience.
Overall, Red Light therapy is healthy, and the wellness approach is not only to get rid of cellulite but also to resolve other physical issues such as chronic pain. If you plan to invest a large amount of money in various beauty products, you should consider Red light Therapy for cellulite. It will make you happy with the safest, cheap, and most natural therapy process.