Breastfeeding is the most precious moment of the mother, it has many health benefits to both (mother& baby). It is not easy to maintain, this period is very tough and painful especially for new mothers. She faces some difficulties on her breast for the temporary or entire journey of breastfeeding.
The most common problem is nipple sensitivity, it can cause sore nipple dry, itchy and crack. This period of time can be tough for pain and discomfort. Pain during breastfeeding is should not ignore anymore. This often is caused by:
- Lack of proper position: If your baby position during breastfeeding is not in right then soreness occurs.
- Poor latching: If your baby is not latching precisely it can cause sore nipple. Your baby is latching properly is so important.
- Breast engorgement: When too much fluid, blood, and milk gather that time you feel soreness and cracked. You should take care to prevent breast engorgement.
In that case, applying specific cream for nipples during breastfeeding can solve your problems.
10 Top Creams for Nipples When Breastfeeding
What to Consider Before Buying Cream for Nipples When Breastfeeding
Nipple cream will help relieve pain during breastfeeding. There are varieties of options to choose from cream. The best way to prevent the breast problem and keep away side effects is by using a natural soothing nipple cream on the breast. You have to choose the right use of cream to ease your pain. We research a lot to find out the best nipple cream for you. You should consider some valuable aspects like ingredients, consistency, smell, and taste when you look for cream. You should remember whatever you use it should safe for your newborn.
- Ingredients: Try nipple cream which contains safe ingredients that can soothe sore nipple. It should be organic or natural, it is always better. Must read the ingredients list, avoid petroleum, paraben, alcohol, etc. Select natural products cause your baby will put on the mouth. Wipe before feeding. Make sure the label is there written that need not be washed before feeding. Try the product contain hypoallergic and natural.
- Consistency: All nipple creams are not equal. Try to avoid thick and sticky cream, greasy or thick Texture will stain on your cloth, choose smooth cream that glides over your nipple. Put a nursing pad on your breast to protect your cloth from staining. Smooth consistency is easy to use
- Smell and taste: The smell and taste depending on ingredients. You may avoid scented products; your baby can be disturbed by the smell or taste. Apply the cream after each meal and it will absorb to the next meal.
- Avoid added fragrances: Babies are highly sensitive in fragrance. Sometimes they refuse because of fragrance. Try simple nipple cream those are not smelly.
- Skip the numbing agents: Sore nipples are not good for the baby. Those numbing agents affect their sucking ability sometimes they refuse or stop breastfeeding.
- Price: If you are investing in nipple cream then purchase the right one though it is expensive. There are some creams in the market with moderate prices with natural ingredients.
- Side Effects: Check the description of the product and use a little portion on the surface, if you see any potential side effects than you need to stop it.
- What to avoid: You should skip that cream which contains the harmful chemical, Paraben, and artificial fragrance. Chemicals will affect your skin and it might be harmful to your baby. You will find the description along with cream, research those and take a decision either it will help or not otherwise there is too high chance to affect your baby.
10 Best Creams for Nipples When Breastfeeding
Here are some potential nipple creams based on high quality with the right ingredients. Pick any of them and enjoy breastfeeding.
1. Soothing Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding Moms
It will soothe you for painful, cracked and irritated skin, certified Organic nursing cream. It has anti-inflammatory ingredients, so it will reduce the irritation. 100% natural and there is no hidden toxic chemical, so it is safe to use, including all of the food-grade ingredients sunflower oil, cocoa butter, apricot oil, etc. It will hydrate cracked areas, give instant relief from irritation.
- Contain food-grade ingredients
- Organic and non-toxic
- Ease Irritated Skin
- Get soothing
- Safe for baby and mom
- Sticky and oily
- Strong smell
2. Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream by Earth Mama 2-Fluid Ounce (3-Pack)
It will enjoy your motherhood with love, care, and effective by this breastfeeding cream. If you are struggling with dryness in the breast then the organic cream by Earth Mama is the best solution. It is lanolin-free, non-sticky and totally organic; there is no chance for any side effects. It is the first Non-GMO Project Verified nipple cream.
- Organic (botanical-rich herbal)
- NO Petroleum, Parabens, or Lanolin
- Non-sticky and is ultra-moisturizing
- Non-GMO Project Verified nipple cream
- Dermatologist tested and clinically tested
- Is not eligible for international shipping
- Few moms don’t like the smell.
3. Lansinoh Lanolin Cream for Nipples When Breastfeeding
Clinically tested, award-winning, and highly recommended by doctors. It will protect & soothe sore nipple. It is safe for baby & mom, 100% natural and ensures the pure hypoallergenic product with no parabens. You can use it easily because it will not distract your baby; the product has no smell and taste.
- 100% natural and hypoallergenic
- Free from preservatives, parabens, fragrance or taste
- Award-winning product
- Nipple cream with lanolin
- Clinically tested and highly recommended
- Specially designed for nursing
- It is not eligible for international shipping.
- Slightly greasy
4. Bella B Nurturing Nipple Butter 2 oz – Organic Nipple Cream When Breastfeeding
Nipple Nurture Butter is very popular; it contains natural ingredients so it is safe for mom and baby. Nipple Nurture Butter contains only plant-based ingredients including cocoa, shea, and mango butter. It is free of petroleum, lanolin, and parabens. 100% safe for baby and mom. It will prevent sore and cracked nipples. It has a pleasant smell.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Thick consistency
- No parabens, water, petroleum
- No need to wipe off before feeding
- Natural product
- Safe for mom and baby
- Too oily
- Light fragrance
5. Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream
Earth Mama’s Organic Nipple Butter is natural, certified organic, effective to soothe and moisturize nipples. There is no petroleum, parabens, or lanolin contains all organic and natural herbal products. No need to wash before breastfeeding because it is safe. Earth Mama Organics is the first Non-GMO Project Verified nipple cream, Dermatologist and clinically tested. It prevents all of the dryness and moisturizes your nipple. This cream will love all nursing moms.
- Certified 100% Organic
- NO petroleum, parabens, or lanolin
- Dermatologist and clinically tested
- The first Non-GMO Project Verified nipple cream
- Safe for mom and baby
- Too oily
6. Palmers Cocoa Butter Nursing Cream 1.1 oz.
This cream is made with a combination of Panthenol and cocoa-butter. It will prevent sore and cracked nipple and it is dermatologically tested. You should apply it daily for softness, do not have to wash before breastfeeding. It is very moisturizing for your nipple. Smells like chocolate so you and baby will like the smell.
- Nursing designed
- Smells like chocolate
- The butter itself is a great treat for the sore nipple.
- Amazing quality
- Non-toxic ingredients
- Strong smell
- Have a small amount of petroleum.
7. Motherlove Nipple Cream (1 oz.)
This Nipple Cream is unscented, free lanolin, all ingredients are plant-based, will help to soothe the pain and discomfort. This nipple ointment is worldwide trusted, award winging, USDA Certified. This nipple ointment is trusted; award-winning, 100%organic with beeswax and shea butter helps to soothe your cracked people. No need to wash before breastfeeding.
- Contains shea butter, beeswax, and olive oil
- Free of lanolin
- Helps to soothe the pain
- USDA Certified Organic
- A few chances of an allergic reaction
8. Bamboobies Lanolin-Free Breast Pump Lubricant and Nipple Cream
Bamboobies USDA Organic Pumping Lubricant cream is Lanolin free, non-toxic, all ingredients are natural. It will soothe mom and Helps reduce friction so pumping may easier. More comfortable, recommended by consultant 100% certified organic, is USDA organic (*Certified Organic Ingredients by Ecocert ICO, Z-89521-2018). You can apply it before pumping.
- Make pumping easier
- More comfortable for new moms
- Natural ingredients
- Lanolin free and non-toxic
- No need wiping before feeding
- Pretty small tubes
- Didn’t last long
9. Medela, Tender Care, Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
This product is designed for all sensitive nipples, contains all-natural ingredients, it is safe for baby & mom. The Medela Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding is easy to use, gives protection for the sore nipple. The product is of high quality based, hypoallergenic, and no need to wipe off before breastfeeding. It heals immediately sometime overnight.
- Easy to use
- It glides on smoothly
- Soothing protection
- All-natural ingredients.
- Odd smell
- Too silky
10. Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm
Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm is another best cream for nipples when breastfeeding for mother and baby, that help provides soothing relief, prevent cracks. Completely organic, there is no chemical, lanoline free, containing organic herbal ingredients. It heals quickly. You can select it for extra soothing comfort, fight with bacteria. Natural moisturizers with herbal ingredients help for extra soothing comfort.
- Safe for mother and baby
- Relieves and heals
- Completely organic
- Lanoline free
- Organic herbal ingredients
- Few allergic reactions can happen
- Too oily
Frequently Ask Questions About Cream for Nipples When Breastfeeding
What to put on nipples when breastfeeding?
Make sure your baby latching if not learn how to baby latch on. To minimize the discomfort express a little bit of milk on breast and change baby position to latch.
What Does Nipple Cream Do?
Nipple cream can remove itchy, sore, dry, cracked or bleeding nipple. Good nipple cream can prevent these entire problems. If you use regular natural nipple cream you will not face any soreness or any discomfort.
Can It Harmful To My Baby?
Some products contain harmful ingredient, it will be not safe for babies. You have to select safe and doctor-recommended products. Try natural products and pay attention if you have any allergic to something. Many women say to try organic-based nipple cream, it will relief from allergy.
How to treat tired and sore nipples when breastfeeding?
- Natural remedies: If you feel nipple soreness then try warm water compress, do it regularly to remove the soreness. You can add salt to your bath it can be extremely beneficial for the cracked nipple. Essential also helpful to remove dryness, you can use shea butter and avocado as oil, all of the essential oil is very efficient to keep breast health.
- Nipple cream: You can choose nipple cream for getting a result to soothe the soreness. Many creams contain natural ingredients that will keep hydrated enough, and prevent getting cracked.
- Others: You should prevent breast engorgement and take proper care of your baby latching to avoid all potential wounds.
How to stimulate nipples for breastfeeding when nipples are soft?
You may be able to stimulate nipple gently, roll your nipple by touching your finger and thumbs with a cold cloth. There is a technic named Hoffman, in this technic you have to place your index on the nipple than press your finger and gently massage the areola (the darker skin around the nipple). Repeat it in every morning for five minutes, the area contains nerve and release milk supply.
The most important phase for mother and baby, the most common problem is nipple sensitivity, sore or cracked nipple it is part of it. Using natural nipple cream is the best choice for nursing mothers. Make sure the product is 100% organic. Simply use of right natural nipple cream, it will heal and give you the best breastfeeding experience. Breastfeeding is the most wonderful way to bond with your baby, and you will enjoy the entire journey with breastfeeding nipple cream.